Saturday, October 29, 2011

A new top 10 in the June Draft, original post April 2011

Update to the Top ten in the NHL draft this June

Earlier this month I attempted to predict the top ten prospects in the upcoming draft. Now that the actual seeding is done, I'm going to again attempt to predict the top ten in the draft with respect to the team needs. I was recently checking out the so called "Expert" picks on NHL.com. Of the three pro's,

I actually have them Kimelman's top ten as the most similar to mine. I'm wondering if he read my article earlier as we have some similar ideas on the players and team needs. I think that Hoffner is completely out to lunch with Couturier out of the top 5 (He won't be passed up on with his skill set - my opinion) and he has a few players in the top 15 that are considered gambles. You don't need to gamble in the top ten this year and I think that some teams learnt their lesson last year, the Islanders and Columbus passed on Skinner and Fowler (Looking for upside when the upside was right in front of them). Also, I'm still having trouble believing that Murphy goes worse than five and he has him at ten.

Regardless, this years top ten might be one of the few times that the top rated ten go in the top ten.

1. Edmonton Oilers - Again, Nugent-Hopkins is almost a know brainer here. 6 Feet tall, hands of gold and a perfect situation for Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle...someone who can pass. I do see the possibility of a trade as Nugent Hopkins is the best player in the draft and the Oilers might like to focus on defense next. I could see Ottawa giving the Oilers both of their picks for the Oilers first. That would allow the Oilers to find a solid D at 6 and then with their 19 and Ottawa's 21, they could draft some centers.

2. Colorado Avalanche - Gabriel Landeskog. I won't waiver on this pick either as I believe that the Avalanche are solid at center and with the acquisition of E.J. (Erik Jonhson), the D has a main cog. Duchesne, Stastny, Galiardi, Jones and Mueller form the primary youth but they need a big winger after parting ways with Stewart.

3. Florida Panthers - Sean Couturier.

Florida PanthersSean Couturier, C, Drummondville (QMJHL)SKINNY: GM Dale Tallon loves big, talented players and they don't get much better than Couturier - ADAM KIMELMAN'S MOCK DRAFT III

I think i said that before. Remember Toews and Skille in Chicago or that center Kane?

4. New Jersey Devils - The winner o the lottery and winners of ADAM LARSSON. Parise and Kovalchuk up front and a Larsson on the back end would look good and it would be a dream pick for the club. I just don't see how Larsson won't be the first pick off the board for defense. He possesses the most upside and all round talent if you are looking for a Lidstrom type player. Reliable in all aspects of the game.

5. New York Islanders - Gambled last year (Neino might pay off) but won't went they take Dougie Hamilton or Nathan Beaulieu. I do think that Beaulieu is my first surprise pick but the Isles are heavy on the front with Tavares, Grabner, Okposo, Neino and Parenteu so it will be a defense-man. I myself would pick MURPHY and would love to see him go here but I think the consensus around the league is that these other guys are the guys you want in game seven of the playoffs....BIG D.

6. Ottawa Senators - Unless something happens, I will be surprised if GM Bryan Murray isn't sitting there waiting at the podium the second its available to pick Jonathan Huberdeau. Best Pro Prospect? Maybe. (I think this title is anybody's) Best hands....absolutely! Ryan Strome could go here but Huberdeau has better size.

7. Atlanta Thrashers - Ryan Strome. Atlanta has Enstrom and the the BIG BUFF and need someone to play with Kane and Little. They take the guy left on the board at this point. They have some European flavor with Burmistrov from last year so I doubt they take Zibanejad here. Stome provides this years version of Jeff Skinner and will provide offense soon.

8. Columbus Blue Jackets - Zibanejad. You heard it here on hub pages first. This is your next MIKKO KOIVU! A player that comes off the board and nobody knows his name. This guy plays big and fast, has vision and skill. I do think that the Blue Jackets might pick up Murphy here as he could finally solve that powerplay thing (or lack there of) in Columbus.

9. Boston Bruins - Ryan Murphy or Dougie Hamilton. The depth on the offense has been a strength for a little while now. Seguin is still on the shelf so no need for offense.

10. Minnesota Wild - Hamilton, Murphy, Zibanejad, Armia and Biggs. I have a tough time seeing defense taken here with the Minny D. Biggs is Big and Armia will score lots of goals in the NHL.

That leaves a solid 2-3 defense on the board in Duncan Siemens and Brodin and possibly one of the guys left above as well as some complete steals in Biggs, Armia, Mcneill, Rattie (this years potential Eberle) and my favorite for sleeper in PUEMPEL! Go PUEMPEL.

Hell, Canucks Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment